Funding for our Fiscal Year 2019 Community Grants was provided by the Community Foundation Mission Funds, the Hartford Waushara County Mission Fund, the Community Fund, the Arthur E. Heinz Fund, the Skyward Fund, and the Bill & Harriet Fulton Memorial Fund.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Wisconsin
To provide 1-to-1 mentoring for disadvantaged children in Portage County through community and Site-Based Mentoring programs.
Boys & Girls Club of Portage County
To support Club sites in the communities of Junction City and Rosholt for at-risk youth to have a safe place to go after school and during summer break.
CAP Services, Inc.
- Family Crisis Center: To help Portage County victims of domestic and sexual abuse set goals in the areas of safety, housing, employment, education and family well-being.
- Skills Enhancement Program: To provide financial assistance to low-income participants to improve skills necessary for higher paying jobs and benefits.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) in Portage County: To recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to prepare tax returns for low-income residents.
- Mental Health Navigation: To provide support needed to improve the mental health of Portage County residents.
Central Rivers Farmshed
To improve community access to locally produced foods and agricultural goods in the Stevens Point area through the 2019 Local Food Fair.
Central Wisconsin Children’s Museum
- EveryFund: To provide educational access to underprivileged and special needs children and their families through interactive exhibits.
- Create-It! Art Room: To support the exploration of artistic expression for early childhood and K-5 kids in the community through the museum’s Arts and Culture programs.
Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra
To support the Dorothy Vetter Educational Concerts for Fourth Graders, an interactive concert experience meant to stimulate interest in music performance among all children in our community.
Children’s Service Society of Wisconsin
To empower parents with skills they need to achieve stability and provide a safe, stable and nurturing home environment.
To better integrate low-income Portage County adults with disabilities into community life through a variety of monthly community events along with free handicapped-accessible transportation.
CREATE Portage County
To support arts, culture, and creativity in Portage County through the IDEA Center to create a vital community for new and current residents.
Creative Caring Hearts Layettes for Newborns
To provide supplies for quality, handmade infant layettes for families in need at Ascension St. Michael’s Hospital.
Evergreen Community Initiatives
To provide assistance to those in need by providing temporary overnight housing accommodations during the coldest months of the year, along with assistance in connecting individuals in need with other community and governmental agencies.
Friends of Standing Rocks
To support the Behnke Olson Outdoor Recreation Center at Standing Rocks Park as a central location for shelter, heat, water and restrooms for all recreational activities at Standing Rocks Park.
Interfaith Food Pantry
To provide a wide variety of healthy, nutritious foods for Portage County families, adults and seniors in need.
Junior Achievement of Wisconsin
To support programs that empower students to be successful in reaching their goals, which will attribute to the growth and stability of the entire community.
Meals on Wheels
To support the cost of meals served to older and disabled adults that enables them to maintain independent living with safety and dignity.
Midwest Renewable Energy Association
To provide communities across Portage County free technical assistance and advice to increase solar power generation.
National Inventors Hall of Fame
To provide scholarships for economically disadvantaged students participating in Camp Invention programs in the Stevens Point School District, focusing on science, technology, engineering and math activities.
Opera For The Young, Inc.
To ignite enthusiasm for opera in elementary students, parents, and teachers in Stevens Point.
To assist low-income households in Portage County with basic necessities like shelter, heat, electricity, water, gas or bus fare, food, household supplies and emergency medications so they can live healthy, stable, fulfilling lives.
Point Dance Ensemble
To support “Free to Be Me,” a collaborative performance with VSA Wisconsin and Suzuki Institute to provide dancers with disabilities an opportunity to be part of an inclusive dance community.
Portage County Cultural Festival
To educate the community about ethnic diversity at a one-day event at Stevens Point Senior High school, featuring food, music, folk dances, native crafts and children’s games from around the world.
Portage County Health and Human Services Department
- Safe Environment for the Early Years Program: To sustain and expand two safety programs, Babe-B-Safe and C.A.R.S., to allow families to implement recommended safety measures where their children live and play.
- Healthy Smiles: To provide dental sealants and fluoride varnish for 2nd and 6th grade students in Portage County.
Portage County Literacy Council, Inc.
To provide adults with low literacy one-to-one tutoring and instruction with trained, volunteer tutors.
Reading First! of Portage County
To promote family reading and conduct events that celebrate books and reading.
Riverfront Jazz Festival
To provide high quality jazz music and a diverse cuisine along the Wisconsin River.
St. Vincent de Paul Community Center
To provide a healthy selection of food to those who need it most to help build a stronger and healthier community.
Stevens Point Area YMCA
- Farm to School Program: To decrease childhood obesity by promoting healthy eating habits for students and increasing access to local foods in schools.
- Hmong Healthy Connections: To help Hmong families understand the benefits of healthy eating and physical activity by engaging the entire family in supporting healthier environments.
Stevens Point Child Safety Center
To provide education to families and help create a safe environment to keep all kids safe through bike helmet and car seat safety.
Stevens Point Sculpture Park
To support the development of a new community sculpture, Impressions of Point 2.
Twelve Apostles Musky Club
To stock fish in the Wisconsin River and its flowages in Portage County.
VITA/TCE Income Tax Preparation
To support free tax preparation and filing for low income, elderly and disabled members of the community.
To support early childhood artists in residencies for children with disabilities in the Stevens Point School District.
To support foster children and their families within a caring community through stable, well supported foster families.
- Backpacks for Hope: To help families by caring for the health and wellness of economically disadvantaged school-age children in our community.
- Spring Into Action: To provide supplies to conduct facility improvements for the Stevens Point Public School District.
WAUSHARA COUNTY GRANTS
CAP Services Waushara County
- Skills Enhancement Program: To provide financial assistance for low-income participants to improve skills necessary for higher paying jobs and benefits.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) in Waushara County: To recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to prepare tax returns for low-income residents.
Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra
To support the Dorothy Vetter Educational Concerts for Fourth Graders, an interactive concert experience to stimulate interest in music performance among all children in our community.
Lutheran Counseling and Family Services of Wisconsin
To provide affordable assistance to those in a crisis caused by an addiction or mental health condition which is adversely affecting daily lives, family dynamics, or productivity.
Saxeville Community Church
To supply weekend food for children who receive free and reduced meals through the Wild Rose School District.
Waushara County Food Pantry
To provide a wide variety of healthy, nutritious foods for Waushara County residents in need and assist in the purchase of a lift gate for a refrigerated food truck.
Waushara Prevention Council
To support the Vision 2020 Backpack Nutrition Program, by providing nutritious food for economically disadvantaged elementary students in Waushara County to take home on weekends.